Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Ides of March

I’ve heard that when you go on the Dave Ramsey plan (or any kind of plan for that matter), anything that can go wrong, will.  In terms of the baby steps, I think a lot of people experience Murphy’s Law in the first month of baby step two.  You get all excited about saving money to put toward your debt and then all of a sudden, boom!  Your water heater breaks, or the transmission on your car bites the dust.  It’s sort of the universe testing your resolve to get out of debt. 

We experienced a bit of that in the beginning of our debt snowball plan, but for the most part we didn’t have too much bad luck during baby step 2.  And then, a few days after we mailed our final payoff, I was driving home from work and heard a small crack! sound.  In the corner of my windshield was a little star-shaped chip, no more than a half inch in diameter.  It’s ok, I thought.  We can get that repaired.  No big deal.  And then, a couple minutes later, I heard a much louder crack! and saw that the star-shaped chip suddenly spread a foot across into my line of vision.  

That’s probably going to cost more than a hundred dollars, I thought.  That’s how much money we had left in ourchecking account after paying off the last of our debt.  We still had our baby emergency fund, of course, but I really didn’t want to dip into it because that would basically put us back at baby step 1.  After getting a few estimates, I found someone who could replace the windshield with OEM glass for just over $200.  So we dipped into our emergency fund to get it repaired, and that was that.  But still, it felt like March 15th was never going to come.  That’s our next payday (which means we have had to go two weeks from our debt payoff to payday with just the cash in our envelopes and our emergency fund).  

Then yesterday I checked the mail.  I’d forgotten that a couple of months ago, I had to undergo some medical tests, and we hadn’t yet been billed for our portion.  So now we owe the hospital $300.  It feels like we’re going into debt again, but since we will have enough to replenish our emergency fund and pay the hospital bill tomorrow, I know we’ll be ok. It’s just a little irritating since it seems like our reward for becoming debt free hasn’t been so handsome.  

On a brighter note, I rediscovered this video today.  One of my law school friends emailed it to me last year and it makes me laugh no matter how many times I watch it.  Kids, just remember, if you did not go to Harvard in the 1970’s, and you do not have a time machine (so you can go back to the 1970’s and graduate from Harvard) then DON’T GO TO LAW SCHOOL!  Unless you want to go six figures into debt and have nothing to show for it in the end but a cracked windshield...



Has anyone else out there experienced Murphy's Law just when it seemed like things were looking up?

10 comments:

  1. maybe you should open up a "law school clinic." Not a real law school. Just a clinic that's open from 10-noon on Saturdays, charging people $500/session for information about law school.

    If you can't beat 'em... join em. (oh wait... the local university already has this monopolized. Nevermind.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Would it be so bad if they were $500 lighter after I tell them not to go to law school, rather than $100k in debt with no job prospects after graduation? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your site, and I am in tears. I am experiencing the exact same thing as a practicing solo, and have made the decision to leave the law. My hopelessness and depression over my choice of career and debt became unmanageable. So I am winding down my practice and getting the hell out of dodge. I am volunteering at 2 locations in an area I'm passionate about, and working part time here and there as local counsel in the meantime. I met my husband at law school (silver lining), so with our combined debt we also follow the Ramsey system. Anyhow, I'm rambling, but I'm so happy to find an experience so similar to mine (though sad someone else has to go through it)---I feel a little less crazy and alone in this journey. Thanks for sharing. I will continue to follow you. Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading! It's always nice to know I'm not alone. The transition is tough, but you'll be ok. It sounds like you are getting organized and have a plan, which is a great start. I am rooting for you, and you can email me anytime if you want to vent or have questions. Nice job on picking the Dave Ramsey plan to get out of debt. It works, even though at times it's not fun. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, though. I am living proof. :)

      Delete
  4. First ad that popped up within the video was for Thomas Jefferson School of Law.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's brilliant! My blog is also filled with lawyer and law school ads. I think it's proof that robots will never really be smarter than humans (in some very crucial ways). Maybe there's hope for humanity yet.

      Delete
  5. My family all the time say that I am wasting my time here
    at net, but I know I am getting familiarity every day by reading
    such pleasant content.

    Review my page :: Louis Vuitton Purses

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great, I sooo need to try this soon! Thanks!
    Medical practice financing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, great blog.Really looking forward to read more. Really Cool.
    best suits for men

    ReplyDelete
  8. We experienced a bit of that in the beginning of our debt snowball plan, but for the most part we didn’t have too much bad luck. GetSomeDosh

    ReplyDelete