Monday, June 1, 2020

Quaranfew

Photo credit Cristian Castillo, Unsplash
Greetings from quaranfew! It's a combination of quarantine and curfew, brought to you by a mysterious, deadly virus and civil unrest. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

It's been so long, I have no idea what to even write, but I still feel a tug and an obligation to keep posting, no matter how infrequent. I was surprised to see Nando's blog is gone. He really was a pioneer and he did some good work. I know he's a controversial figure, but I think he was
instrumental in changing the law school industry. It looks like Rose Colored Glasses is gone, too. But BIDER has kept their blog up, although they haven't posted anything recently. Inside the Law School Scam is still around, too, but it's the same story. No new posts.


I think I still feel attached to my blog because it seems like we were a cohort at one time. Coming back to it is like opening up an old yearbook. I gain more perspective the more time passes, too. Like looking back on an old relationship and figuring out my own mistakes, and realizing there were some good times before everything went south. When it comes to my blog, I feel like a misfit. Like I was swept up into the "scam blog" bin, when in reality, my story is that law school and being a lawyer just weren't a good fit for me. I still feel that way. I'm sure some of you do, too. I didn't have a hard time finding a job after I graduated and it wasn't impossible to pay off my student loan debt, but the work itself wasn't suited to my personality. Which, in a way, is harder to accept sometimes than the idea that I was scammed. The truth is, it wasn't for me. But why? How could something I wanted so badly at one time be bad for me? I still don't know the answer to that question. Maybe the old saying is wrong. It's not that "you always want what you can't have," but that "you always want what you shouldn't have." We don't always know what's best for us. It probably takes a lifetime to learn that. How could I be sure about anything at 22?

That's not to say I don't still love the law. I'm still drawn to reading new SCOTUS rulings, and I'm still repelled by legal dramas in which TV lawyers can somehow draft and file appellate briefs in a few hours. I'll never stop "thinking like a lawyer" and for that, I am thankful. It's a way of understanding how the world works, like studying biology or structural engineering, or figuring out how to use the Postmates app.

So...updates. I still live in L.A. And I'm a mom now. Life is good, save for the pandemic and the protests/riots. I often wonder how I could have brought new life into this messed up, crazy world but it's the oldest story in the book:

There's always hope of getting it right this time. 


A note to my readers - both of you - if you're still reading these posts, please leave a comment and I will keep posting. Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment